Here is my two cents on why the legalisation of cannabis should be passed..
- Over 6,000,000 UK citizens are criminalised and somewhat alienated.
- Over 6,000,000 UK citizens risk their health by consuming cannabis of uncontrolled and doubtful purity.
- Some illegal cannabis dealers sell other substances; smuggling routes which are successful can be used for hard drugs.
- Illegal cannabis can be bought with stolen goods.
- The Government receives no revenue. The criminals make all the profits.
- Many people are prohibited from a beneficial medicine; doctors cannot prescribe cannabis.
- People requiring some sort of relaxing intoxicant legally can only choose alcohol.
- Prison sentences even for continual possession offences lead to family break-ups and all the problems associated with imprisonment.
- People who are fined and unable to pay are locked up.
- People such as Coptic Christians, Shintos, Hindus, Jains, Buddhists, and Rastafarians, cannot use cannabis in Britain as part of their ritual or experiences.
- No serious research can be conducted on the therapeutic uses of cannabis.
- Police time is wasted, the courts full, the prisons overcrowded; over 80% of drug convictions are for cannabis.
Let me know what you think?